Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dancing and Dragons

A few weeks ago I was able to go and see my niece Kate's ballet recital. She did such a good job! Watching all that dancing made me wish I was still taking dance classes. As it turns out, the studio that Kate dances at is owned by a woman in our neighborhood. When I told her how much I enjoyed the recital she said I should come try one of their adult classes. They teach a ballet class for adults (whatever that means) on Tuesday nights. I decided it would be fun to try, so off I went this week.

This morning (Saturday) is the first morning since then (Tuesday night) that I haven't been sore. Ha!

It felt SO good though! I had forgotten how much you can work in a one hour class. There were only two of us in the class plus our teacher (who also teaches Kate's class) and boy did she work us! It's fustrating to see what she's doing, remember my body doing that, then struggling to make it do it now. But I had a lot of fun trying! Believe me, after 8 years of no ballet whatsoever I am genuinely terrible. But my teacher was encouraging, the other girl in the class was very nice and it's easily the hardest I've worked out in a long time. So back I'll go this week! Hopefully the longer I go the more it will come back to me. I miss being good at dancing just as much as I miss dancing itself!

Yesterday Brian and I went to see How to Train Your Dragon, which was way fun. A very cute movie, my favorite Dreamworks one by far. The main dragon, 'Toothless', reminded us a lot of Crush. In fact all of the dragons had cute, pet-like traits; rolling in grass, a sweet spot for petting, crouching and pouncing, purring. It was fun to see a movie that put so much personality into characters that never spoke (that is what I loved about Wall.E). It was also a very good example of 3D movies. Lots of fun! We really wished we could have seen it with our nephews, those stinky boys would have loved it! It was also fun to see 3D previews for the first time! We're getting excited for Toy Story (Allie, I'm gonna need to borrow Ethan!) and the other summer movies that are coming out.

On the excited note, Brian graduates in six weeks! Woo! I have been with him for all but one semester of architecture school and I can speak for everyone around here when I say we will not be missing the College of Architecture much. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer! Brian was also approached by his work this week to negotiate a full-time offer, which is fantastic. We're glad they've noticed how awesome he is, because it's true! Life will sure be different with our time at the U of U offically over!

1 comment:

thederricks said...

Yeah for ballet! We think it is so fun that you are taking ballet! Kate loves that you both have the same teacher! She is amazing!