Yes, I know. February is the shortest month. But for me it seems that February in Utah lasts forever. Always grey, always cold. Every so often Utah will tempt me with a sunny day, yet I still freeze my ears off walking from my work building to my car.
Even after only 28 days I'm pretty frustrated. Thank goodness it isn't a leap year!
However, this time next week February will be over. March will likely still have a snow storm or two, but it is definitely the light at the (still distant) end-of-the-winter tunnel. So, as we approach the month in which I'm used to having a spring break (I'm really going to miss that this year) I thought I'd let you know a little about the fun stuff we managed to do the last few weeks...in spite of February!
The last couple months I've been going to baby showers for my friends. This kinda freaks me out still, but I'm getting better at it! Most of the lil' ones on the way are boys, which makes shopping very difficult. No, really. Places like Gymboree are unaware that not all babies are girls. At first I thought this would be kind of a bummer if you were having a boy, but then it became obvious that you could save yourself massive amounts of money by ruling out 98% of the baby items available for purchase. This did make it more difficult when I was required to buy for boys, but we got there eventually. Luckily there is one girl on her way, my sister-in-law is expecting her first baby in May. Just to prove to myself that buying girl clothes was more fun I decided I'd try it; my hypothesis was indeed correct. I can only hope that Sophia arrives before there is no more space in our spare closet for the girliness!
Brian and I celebrated Valentines Day in our usual fashion--avoiding restaurants like the plague and exchanging presents early because we're impatient like that. Besides, Valentines was on a Sunday anyway. Brian is now the proud owner of a Snuggie, but it's not just any Snuggie. It's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Snuggie! It was just too funny for me to not buy it. Brian got me a very cool vase that will be home to Valentines dasies for years to come, I love it. Maybe someday we'll hold out long enough that we actually give each other our presents ON the day they're meant for. I wouldn't plan on it happening soon though.
And of course, we've been watching the Olympics for the last week. So far snowboarding halfpipe is our favorite, thanks to Shawn White. Brian and I decided it was insanely unfair to have the men compete first at this, simply because they made the women the night after look lame by compairson. We've had a great time watching short track skating (special thanks to the Koreans for knocking each other over) and downhill skiing (Lindsey Von is hardcore!) and we'll be sad when prime time tv is no longer so consistently interesting. This is the best kind of reality tv!
I have almost finished the first class in my MBA program (even with the Olympics going). It's very different to be studying something where so much of my homework is based on my own opinion, but I'm starting to embrace the fact that if I argue well enough my teacher can't call me 'wrong' because there is no such thing as a right or wrong answer. So far the most disturbing part of my class is the alien-like persona that delivers my digital lectures...I think they filmed the guy with a green screen and then didn't put in a backdrop. It's just white, so it looks like he's floating in my presentation window. Distinctly creepy. Hopefully there will be a new guy for the next class, although I'm not counting on it. Creepy or no, I'm very grateful that I'm able to work on my next degree in my pjs at home, without having to quit my job.
Brian is just two months away from being done with school forever, he is insanely excited. He definately has a little senioritis going, but I think it's pretty impressive that he didn't feel that way until his last semester. I felt that way for my last three semesters! His final project is to design a winery to go in Springdale, Utah. I love watching his big studio projects, they always turn out to be really awesome. Although his projects are interesting I think he's having more fun at work. He's on a bunch of different projects at the moment, varying from LDS temples to a new childrens' museum for Thanksgiving Point that is seriously one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I know Brian is really looking forward to not having to split his time between work and school anymore.
While we occasionally feel like all we ever do is go to work and go to school we're doing pretty well. We're excited for spring and Brian's graduation! For now, I'm going to go back out in the deceptively sunny, freezing cold weather.Sigh.
No comments:
Post a Comment