I will be the first to admit that Brian and I don't eat enough fruit and veggies. Part of that is probably due to my hatred for buying produce. It's expensive, half the time it's not great, half the time Brian forgets that it's in the house.
Well, he's not going to forget this!
I have a hard time deciding what the best part is...that it's fresher than the store, that there's a ton of it, or that it was fifteen dollars.
That's right. 6 bananas, 6 apples, 8 oranges, a pineapple, strawberries, blackberries, 6 sweet potatoes, lettuce, 9 ears of corn, broccoli, 3 yellow squash (I'm 90% sure that's what it is) and a nice big yellow onion.
Interested? Visit the Bountiful Baskets website. It's not just Bountiful--the program actually started in Arizona (we're talking Bountiful Baskets as in 'a lot' not 'city where Amanda lives'). The website is painfully slow, but other than that this week's pickup was cake. Every Monday at 1:00 pm the local sites around northern Utah open up. You don't know what you'll get, so it's a little bit of a gamble (especially for me and B, the anti-green-veggie squad) but the group estimates it's about $50 worth of produce every week. You can also order bread and other things, this week you could get extra strawberries (which I did, yay!).
And so, I'm going to try baking yams this week, grilling squash, we'll have fresh corn for the first time since last summer. Tomorrow morning we'll have crepes with berries! Special thanks to B's sister, Allie, for getting us to give it a try!
3 comments:
I am so sorry I didn't tell you about this sooner. It is the coolest thing ever right?! I LOVE it!! We do go through most all of it, and what we don't we share with neighbors and friends. People are always open to free food, so when you get that green stuff just pass it along...I know a neighbor across from you who would love it!
How cool! I've never heard of this and am very interested in participating... how long have you been doing this Amanda? Such a great idea!
This was just my first week. We're taking a break this week (that's a lot for two people) and give it another try next Monday!
You can sign up every Monday at 1:00 pm. I try and do it pretty fast, since there are only a couple spots in Bountiful.
Post a Comment