He is ridiculously funny as he teases you mercilessly.
That's right. He looks shy and well-behaved (yay for those 12-year-old cotillion classes) but no. He will taunt, tease, and smile the entire time. My favorite example of this was the time leading up to our engagement. We actually started saying things like 'wedding' in spring 2007. Naturally, one of the first things to come was some casual internet ring shopping. B was a very good sport, learned all his 'C's' and such. Finally we went shopping in person, for about 47 minutes. B had one rule: Don't pick one. Hardest rule ever! So he stuck about a billion rings on, nodded to himself, said 'Ok, done!' and we left.
And he never said another word about it.
Well, except for the teasing. He started this joke of kneeling down and smiling at random points of the day. He was usually rewarded by being tickled. He did this for weeks and weeks and weeks...until I finally just stopped responding. After the fact this same tactic was employed by Jim on The Office when we were watching. B was very pleased with himself.
So I was completely desensitized, B swears this was part of the plan. I'm still pretty sure he was just enjoying the teasing moment.
We went to Disneyland for fall break last year, one of my friends from school has made driving me to California one of his personal traditions. Luckily he's a Disney employee, so he seems to magically get fun things while we're there. B talked to him weeks before, plotting out proposal ideas. At this point my ring had been mysteriously moving to different locations in his room for over two months--usually very high locations. Well, like I was going to find that.
The real reason for this particular Disneyland run was for my auntie's wedding. So after enjoying her fun party my sweet daddy drove us back for one last night of Disneyland time. I really wanted to watch the fireworks--as Brian says, I'm a sucker for them--so we left with plenty of time. Sadly, a 45 minute drive was turning into a 2 hour marathon on I-5. I was pretty bummed, so I decided to take a nap. But my mom tells tells me that next to me there was a boy who seemed unable to hold still in general. Brian was bordering on panic, trying to come up with the worst case scenario: what do I do if we miss the fireworks?
We arrived at Downtown Disney about ten minutes before showtime. After running the entire length (ahh!) we tracked down our friends who had somehow (cough...weeks of planning) snagged the best fireworks seats I'd ever seen: sitting on a bench at the front of the train platform on Main Street. For once I got to see without a single tall head in front of me! As I happily settled in for 20 minutes of pure Disney joy I was so completely happy that I just stopped thinking. Until minute 17 or so (I can find the music on my iPod), when B leaned over and whispered "So, now would be a good time to propose, right?" After the last few months I can honestly say that my first thought was "He had better not be kidding this time!". And he wasn't. My friends, obviously in the know, quickly swung their cameras away from the fireworks and towards us. As the lights came up I could finally see it: my amazing, princess cut engagement ring. Somehow I was already wearing it...I guess I must have said yes!
Well, I had thought Disneyland was already as good as it was going to get, but that night was far and away the best. Not to mention that all day my friends had snagged fast passes for my favorites--including Peter Pan. Brian said he wanted to propose at Disneyland so I couldn't say no, but I know it's really because he knows me better than anyone else. I don't think I could've given him any better instructions if I'd planned it myself! So far he's only seen one flaw in his plan: now I want to go back even more. Our Christmas trip can't come too soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment